Bouldering. Top-roping. Problems. Belayer. To a beginner, these terms might sound like a foreign language. It can feel intimidating to walk into an unfamiliar environment where you don’t know the lingo, and you’re not quite sure what you’re doing.
But we’ve got good news for you. At Method Climbing + Fitness, we work hard to create a no-intimidation environment. We want everyone to feel welcome when they walk through our doors, no matter how experienced or inexperienced you may be. That’s why we’ve intentionally built a family-friendly, supportive climbing community that has something for everyone. From our climbing walls to our fitness areas to our cafe, Method is designed to help you overcome the intimidation factor.
Still, we understand that sometimes it’s just not easy to try something new. Here are a few ways we can help with that.
Are you intimidated by rock climbing in general?
Maybe you don’t know where to start, or you’re worried that you’re not strong enough. Maybe jumping off the top of a bouldering wall just feels like too much. Don’t worry. We’re here to help you overcome your fears as you practice in a safe environment. Each time you climb, you’ll get a little stronger. Our climbing walls and fitness equipment help you build strength and endurance gradually while improving your climbing skills at the same time. And when you have questions, you’ll find a supportive, encouraging climbing tribe to help you tackle the next problem. Here are a few additional tips to help you overcome the intimidation factor:
- Start with the basics. You don’t have to climb the tallest wall or hardest problem on your first day. Ask a staff member about easier routes for beginners and stick with those until you feel ready to tackle something harder.
- Take it slow. There’s no rush when you’re on the wall. Think about where you want to place your hands and feet before you move. If you need a rest, take one!
- Compare the risks with the rewards. The rewards of indoor rock climbing include building strength and skill, boosting confidence, and finding a community of supportive, like-minded new friends. The risks are minimal. You just have to take the first step.
Are you worried about COVID-19 when you come to Method?
We understand the concern, and we’re taking every possible precaution to keep you safe and healthy. That’s why we’ve instituted new health and safety protocols to minimize the potential spread of germs. When you come to Method, here’s what you can expect:
- Masks are mandatory when not climbing and encouraged when on the wall.
- Staff will be wearing face coverings at all times.
- Patrons and staff should maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet.
- We will provide hand sanitizing stations throughout our facility.
We will also be taking some additional precautions during our initial phase of opening.
Don’t let intimidation keep you from exploring the possibilities of indoor rock climbing! Take the next step toward finding your footing at Method Climbing + Fitness.
Want more rock climbing tips and ideas delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!